Monday, June 25, 2007

Gagged by Tagged and Boggled by Google!

I have been at the receiving end (in more ways than one) of emails from friends old and new via a website called Tagged. Yet another 'frandsip making' site like hi5, chirkut blah blah I thought, and ignored all the mails and even deleted them. Then I got another deluge of emails from the site and decided to check out what the ruckus was all about.

So I signed up like a good li'l girl and filled out the basics of my profile. Thought this was yet another way to keep in touch with my pals scattered across the globe and even some jobless ones who live in the same city. Before I submitted the profile, I got a welcome email from a really old friend who had sent me the email, when actually it was the site that had sent me an automated email. I thought she was online since it showed me up as online and I presumed she was too. I put up a pic of myself and was just trying to figure out what was different about this website.

Next thing I knew my mailbox was flooded with emails proclaiming 'You have received an email from Tagged!' I open them one by one and find scores of random people leaving even more random messages for me. Sheesh! Had thought it was just friend-to-friend contact. I prefer to pick and choose my friends, you stupid site! I'm also very picky about whom I pick! I refuse to have some dumb automated robot do it for me!

The pics of the people who had sent me messages were from really weird looking pics of men. There was also Brad Pitt in an unbuttoned shirt emerging from the sea. Somehow I doubt that was the original Brad. Then there were cartoons, fruits, scenery pics, and helicopter pics.

The profile names ranged from people's boring first and last names to 'naughtyguy'. There was even someone named Pushpaaa. All those A's for numerology I guess or was it just coz Pushpaaa was plain happy to see me? 'Coz her/his message was "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, wanna be ur fren, shall we chat?"

Along came this 69 yr old dude who sent a 'frandsip' request. Most other messages were rather meek. The messengers seemed fairly tongue-tied and didn't go beyond 'Hi', or 'Hi, how r u', 'I'm looking for a sweet friend' or 'Wanna chat?'. All these sarcastic comebacks sprang to mind like 'I dont care who you are', 'So what?' and 'N-O'.

One guy proceeded to tell me he was the TL at a BPO and another said he was from IIT. I guess these were supposed to be 'ice breakers' and 'conversation starters' and I should have been impressed.

The messages took the cake, the bakery, and the bakery chain. From friendship rhymes (can hardly term them 'poetry'), pick up lines, begging and pleading (double and triple messages from the same profile id), people saying we should chat 'coz we were in the same city (some logic and this was all wrong info anyway), some asking for a date and finding that funny by giggling at the end of the message, some who wanted to 'make friendship' to one guy's gem -- Hi sister, how r u? I like making sisters, will you be my sister? Pls sister, say yes, if no, then also ok, but take care'.

In the span of an hour I received over 70 messages. I changed my age to 106 and got some smart aleck replies to that. Finally one guy said I didnt look 106 years old and then it finally dawned on me! It was 'coz of the pic that I was inundated with unfathomable mind boggling messages!! All this hulla gulla, sheesh! Took down the pic rightaway and changed the profile id as well. Shukar hai, only 3 messages have come in so far.

Tagged simply shows all the profiles to all its members, so any random dude can send any Tagged member a message! Jeez. I spent the better part of the hour deleting each message one by one and also the automated mails in my mail inbox.

If this keeps up and none of my actual friends send me any messages there elucidating what is so terrific about this website, the profile is going down by this weekend. I have too many things going on in my life to spend time deleting idiotic scraps/messages from idiots.

These sites dont just tag you, they just go all out and gag you!!!!
*still gagging at the experience*

As for being gagged by Google, its weeks since I've been able to login to my blogger a/c. Finally deleted some 100MB worth of temp files from my PC as well as emptied cache of all cookies. That seemed to work for Orkut and I can actually log in there now. Another matter that I won't :D Blogger still doesn't work, damn login page refreshes automatically. Now fixed the problem by downloading Firefox.

Die IE!
Die Google!! (ok, not just yet)
Die Blogger!!!!! That would be the day!!

8 comments:

Abhishek said...

there was a time when i got emails from tagged people. stupid crap.

Orkut and blogger are the only ones I invest time in.

Just Jane said...

#Shek,
Even Orkut is a waste of time most of the time and some would say so is Blogger :P

Born a Libran said...

Oh, I know how u feel... I hate orkut, tagged, hi5, n all those other frandship sites.. Do make an appearance in orkut once in a while... But blogger is cool, I guess...

Just Jane said...

#BaL,
You're so right! :D

Unknown said...

After hearing enough of Orkut 'wanna make frandship' msgs, I realised never to put a photo up on mine:) Also, aren't there just too many of these sites now? How many does one subscribe to?:p

Just Jane said...

#Duhita,
Where have you been, yaar? Missed seeing you around here :-) All well?

As for similar sites, I got an invite to "HIKUT" yesterday. Can ya believe it?????? HIKUT it seems...cross breed of Hi5 and Orkut.....bigtime SHEEESH.

greensatya said...

Ahahhahaha, your post had me in splits right from first line.

Chirkut ,hahahahhaa !!

Even I have been getting these 'tagged' mails but I have not given into these networkings sites.

Nice ice-breakers and pickup lines you mentioned, TL in BPO, from IIT and wanna be sister, jesus christ, so creative people are in there.

As for blogger login with IE, yeah they haven't fixed it. But there is a workaround. After login, when it says "click here to continue", just do a right click and select, open in a new page and it will work.

Just Jane said...

#Satya,
Glad you enjoyed reading and thanks for the tip :)