Sunday, May 21, 2006

Saturday Blues

Had to go to work today. Aaaaarrrgh!! Really, what could be worse! (Ok, don't need the count your blessings speech now, thank you).

Its SatuRANTday.

Sherry and I were cursing under our breaths. Actually, it was loud enough for all to hear. And we are in two different cities. Most Saturdays we have to go to work, only to find that there is absolutely no work.

I have this nasty habit of piling up my accrued leave and Sherry is just the opposite. She exhausts even the leave that she is not entitled to. She loves taking vacations after her vacations. She insists she needs a break after the vacation itself. Me, on the other hand, has grown roots that have fastened to my desk and spread their tentacles around my non-ergonomic chair. Sherry has tried beating me over the head about my accumulated leave, but has not succeeded in penetrating my thick skull as yet. I must take a few tips from Kusum Dishoom who seems to take off on a holiday every other month! God bless her employer. (Kusum, chocs and my CV coming your way).

Coming back to Sherry, all of last year she consistently kept her signature out of the attendance register almost every Saturday, as a rule. A laudable effort indeed. All her evil vacation deeds came back to bite her this year and hence, she has taken tips from my book and is chained to her seat all week, week after week. You see, she has exhausted her quota of leave, and how! She has negative leave balance now. So, 2006 sees Sherry at work every Saturday, very busy "leave gathering" as she put it.

Chat with Sherry today went like this...

Sherry: You at work on a Saturday again?

Me: *sheepish laugh* Yeah. I have an RS to attack, only it is attacking me. (RS stands for 'rambling story' aka report).

Sherry: Ok, then its allowed.

Me: Right back at ya, btw!

Sherry: I know, I told you my problem.

Me: Ah...yes.

Sherry: Leave gathering.

Me: Leaves gathering, eh? Its summer, not autumn.

Sherry: Huh?

Me: I'm such a rake. Never mind.

Sherry: Went out for lunch though.

Me: I've given up on life on weekends let alone lunch. Where d'ya go?

Sherry: Hathworks Buelevard.

Me: Sounds fancy shmancy.

Sherry: Had YUMMMMMY dessert at lunch.

Me: Sure, rub it in some more.

Sherry: B-o-u-l-e-v-a-r-d. Ugh...whats the spelling??

Me: You got it right the 2nd time around :-)

Sherry: First time sounded demented.

Me: Haha! Anyway, it's a Saturday, and you're at work. We're allowed to be demented.

Sherry: Yes, I have the same excuse for Monday too.

Me: True. And what about Thursdays and Fridays for you?
(Midweek is when Sherry's workload really hits her between the eyes).

And Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays for me!
(Start to midweek is when I nail work and bring it to its knees).

Darn. That doesn't leave much of the week left, does it?

Sherry: *looooooooooooooooong sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

Me: *looooooooooooooooong sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

26 comments:

qsg said...

Working on saturdays is cruel.

Abhinav Vinayakh Shankar said...

Working on Mondays is cruel too!

"the girl who ate everything and didnt even burp" said...

areee working only is cruel! :|
how about working on alternate days?? ;)

Just Jane said...

#Gemini,
Sigh...doesn't help that it's a cruel summer either.

#Abhinav,
Tell me about it!!

#Sugar n spice,
Now there's an idea! A very creative one too, do come up with some more genius stuff lathis :D

Abhinav Vinayakh Shankar said...

Yeah, working Mondays is really bad.
You have work piled up; really sad;
You have another 5 days of work left after this; doesnt make you feel glad,
working Mondays must be making me mad !

Cheers

Just Jane said...

#Abhinav,
Amazing! Cool limerick :D

dharmu said...

first time here, nice blog

Sayesha said...

Work on Saturday??? :(

Just Jane said...

#Dharmu,
Hi, and welcome to my space here :-) Glad you like what you see, do come again!

#Sayesha,
Kya bolu Sayesha bhai...meri bolti hi band ho gayi hai! :(

"the girl who ate everything and didnt even burp" said...

updaaaaaaaate update
*clap clap clap*

updaaaaaaaate update
*clap clap clap*

:D

Just Jane said...

#Sugar n spice,
Bina update ke liye claps? :D Maybe we'll go with this mode for a while then hehehe...will post over the weekend, phull week mad biji :(

ritzkini said...

:D
*loong sigh...*
good one...hamesha...
:D

Arrowhead said...

I understand that you don't like working on Saturdays. Didn't get the bit about the chat. Was that for pure 'expression' value or are we supposed to draw some wisdom out of that? Seemed quite 'Huh?'

qsg said...

kya re? get off your lazy butt and get writing again!

Just Jane said...

#Kini Saar,
That's all I'll be left doing at this rate!

#Arrowhead,
My blogposts aren't something I can comprehend myself, and you expect me to explain them to you??

#Gemini,
Arre, if I had cute guys fallin' all over me, I'd have a lot to write about too :P :P :P

Rider on the Storm said...

You love working on Saturdays dont ya??? Editing the RS and stuff !!! LOL

ritzkini said...

/*Arre, if I had cute guys fallin' all over me, I'd have a lot to write about too :P :P :P*/

What nonsense ! If that was the case i wuldnt have had ammo for one post,even !
errr...meant cute boys..dint mean cute girls !
:D
but..hope you 'catch-my-point,one nimit..'
:)

R said...

Eew. Saturday ko bhi kaam?
Sheesh. Chalo koi nahi. Think about Sundays! :D :P

qsg said...

The Chosen One - please be true to your name...you are the chosen one and don't need cute guys to define and decide whether or ot you will write. Very disappointed, girl!

"the girl who ate everything and didnt even burp" said...

you din update :( you said you'd update on weekend but u didnt. you lied to me :( boo hoo *sniff sniff*

ok enuf drama... hey write something quick :)

Kusum Rohra said...

U worked on saturday?? Sheesh, abbe CV chod chocolates bhej de jaldi :)

Ahem what do you mean God bless my employer, and honey you are wrong I don't take vacations every month, the Bangalore and Goa trips happened in one month only :)

And ya did i tell you I am going to Matheran to celebrate the upcoming rains??

Just Jane said...

#Rider on the storm,
Ay yam lathis wonly, mind it! :P

#Kini Saar,
We must watch Kamal Saar again in that mindboggling movie to celebrate your return, what say?! :D

#Rohit,
Good to see exams haven't diminished your spirit :D Sundays are ze bestest :D

#Gemini,
Tu toh meri nani se bhi aage nikal gayi re....forever disappointed with me :(

#Sugar n spice,
Mat ro, pyaari behna...save some tears for when you watch Fanaa :-)

#Kusum Vacation Dishoom,
Tu bhi na! One speshul breed only you are! Pls note new middle name I have christened you with :-)

Unknown said...

LOL..

Work sucks is it??
Not really.. ask people who're actualy idle :(

Its ok.. the grass is always green on the other side :P

I pray your boss gives you a nice loooooong unrecorded sponsored vacation.. err.. thoda zyada ho gaya? Koi gal nahi.. imagination aur dreams par koi bas nahi.. koi lagaam nahi :P

Hope it comes true though :D

Take care,
Aarti

Just Jane said...

#Aarti,
See what happened? Soon after cribbing about working Saturdays, I am now not working Monday to Sunday itself!!! Fracture aur ghaayal hone ke baad, sirf chutti hi chutti!! :O

Unknown said...

Aawwww...

Koi gal nahi kudiye..
Tusi fikar not!!

You've got a well needed break dear.. Njoy, coz you know it won't last for long!

Btw.. your on bed for how long dear? Get Well Sooon :)

Take care,
Aarti

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! men divorce rights michigan Stair climbing segway wheelchair