Friday, October 23, 2009

DGW - Gift 2

In August 2009, I spent 2 weeks at a yoga and meditation retreat. Every morning after asana practice we had coconut water and coconut pulp to refresh us and have a healthy, nutritious start to the day. I missed that after my return home and mentioned it to Mom. She said there is a chap who sells the same and comes by often. She sent word and he turned up one fine day. We bought some and enjoyed it and requested he come at least once/twice a week.

Many weeks later he showed up again and when asked about the long gap, he said he had forgotten. He had gone to other houses in the neighborhood, but had not knocked on our door! My mother admonished him and asked how could he have forgotten even after specifically requesting that he come regularly. The poor guy profusely apologized. I was listening to this conversation and suggested that he be given Rs.50 since Diwali was about a week away. Mom looked at me like I was nuts ‘coz she had just purchased some fresh coconuts from him. I reminded her of JGW and DGW (:P) and she promptly obliged.

Now the face of this man was a sight to behold! It was just 50 bucks but he couldn’t stop beaming and smiling nonstop! He seemed quite touched and very happy and left after thanking Mom. I suppose he will also be very regular from now on since he came again after that, again all smiles :-)

He was back on our doorstep after the Diwali weekend--as expected--to find a box of sweets and an Azzaro Tshirt waiting for him, which again he received with much gratitude. I also found out he has two school going kids--so now I have already identified my next ‘gifting victims’! Hehehe! :-) Will get them the Ecobuddy notebooks for starters...maybe even some books from Pratham.

This guy was not in my original list of people who help us throughout the year with various errands, but I'm glad I was aware enough of wanting to give something to a stranger and remembered just in time. Technically, this incident cannot really be labeled a gift/act of giving, but boy, o' boy, was it worth it to see those beaming smiles! Feels like I'm the one who received!

7 comments:

v said...

Ahem. I thought you said the tipping amount is directly propotional to service. 50 rupees is a lot for forgetting to knock on your door.

I'd have tipped him 100 rupees if he knocked on your head instead. Now, that's good service.

And seriously, even an extremely noble guy like me is keenly expecting this giving spree to end.

I'm oudie. Time for happy hour.

Just Jane said...

The 50 bucks is turning out to be more of a bribe for regular steadfast attendance! I think I now need to give him money to stop dropping by!

Oh, and the giving spree is gonna go full steam ahead particularly if it means the likes of you will stop knocking on this blog's door again.

V said...

Oh, this is definetly a case of Pulp Friction.

P.S. I hope you are treating these comments as playful banter. If not, I'll stop knocking on this blog's door myself.

Whinophile said...

That's nice! We usually give money/sweets/et al to people who help us regularly too - in fact, i think the postman will give me my exam admit card only if i shell out the 50 bucks! :P

Unknown said...

Giving make u more complete!

Good one! Its these small things that matter most!

Pallavi said...

Giving and sharing and the moral aspects which open us up does begin at home.. :)

I was doing a clothes drive for the less fortunate when I saw two jackets : this reminded me of the iron lady who comes by and wanted some winter wear..well I thought this would be a very good chance to give where its really needed.. she as predicted was very happy as her husband shivered from the cold she said.. :)

It does feel nice..

Just Jane said...

@V, its all good :P

@Whinophile, if you're lucky, you won't get that admit card!

@Iceman, you said it :)

@Pallavi, nice story :)