Monday, October 26, 2009

DGW - Gift 3

In March this year, my dad was hospitalized for a week or so after he had a fall and hurt his head. He has quite a few health problems and has been unwell since a year now. Dad’s sister and family live at the other end of town and could not visit us at the hospital more than once. My uncle arranged for his factory employee Arun to visit the hospital and help Mom and I for errands etc. Arun came almost all days and helped us in many ways – as an attender so that Mom and I could take turns to relieve us of hospital duty, he even helped feed my dad, helped him walk, during billing etc.

Once my car was confiscated by the police because it was parked in the lane next to the hospital which apparently is a towing zone, but the parking area was full and so in a hurry I had left the car there early morning, only to return around noon and find it locked! I was in a state of distress as I had to go to the bank and run many other errands, so I had to walk quite a bit to the main road to look for a police patrol car and request them to unlock the car. Usual fine for this is Rs.300 and I was quite annoyed with myself since this whole thing was also wasting my precious time. At that moment Arun who was in dad’s room called for something and I mentioned I was waiting for the police to unlock the car. He got a nurse to sit in dad’s room and came down. By that time a police van had come and I asked them to unlock it. Arun requested them to let me off since I was already tense with dad being in the hospital etc. The cops said I could pay Rs.100 and would not write a ‘challan’! I was grateful to Arun for saving me some time and money during this stress-filled period.

On the day dad got discharged and came home, Arun was right there helping us carry stuff and help dad into the house. We are eternally grateful and thankful to him for helping us so much, more than any family member or friend, but Arun being practically a stranger, behaved like family and did everything that was asked and even unasked. We have not seen him since March now - he lives on the outskirts of town - but we have spoken to him over phone and he has also called to enquire after my dad’s well-being.

Recently, he has become a father twice over. He has a little boy and now a baby girl ! We have wanted to gift him something since March and have mulled over a suitable gift, but had not acted on it. Certainly we cannot repay his kindness ever, but at least give a token of appreciation from our side.

Using Diwali as an excuse, I finally went to the market yesterday and got him a shirt piece, a sari for his wife, a ball for his son. We wanted to get some clothes for the kids but do not know the sizes and neither have we seen them yet. I did not find anything suitable for the new born baby so included the rattle I had got for my cousin's 5 month old daughter who lives in another city. I had purchased this at a crafts fair a couple of weeks ago. The total cost of gifts amounted to Rs.500, and is nothing in comparison to what he did for us, which is invaluable and immeasurable. The gifts will be sent through my uncle who is Arun’s boss. :-) It will take a few days to reach him since I hear he is out of town. I’m sure they all will have a bright future ahead filled with happiness, love and peace, since we have included our heartfelt wishes sent as good vibrations and prayers along with the material gifts :-) Of course, this is only the 'starter kit' in the set of gifts that will be coming his way! :-)

No comments: