Sunday, October 04, 2009

With Bapu's Blessings - Day 1

The Joy of Giving Week (JGW) has captivated my attention completely. My mind is brimming with ideas on how to implement the same and participate in the 7Day7Gifts (7D7G) challenge to the fullest possible extent. The fact that it coincides with Mahatma Gandhi's birth anniversary is very significant. The man who selflessly laid down his life for the betterment of his brethren and country, was an epitome of one who gives and gives tirelessly. Of himself. Service to living beings is equal to service to God, they say. Giving is one of the highest virtues of spirituality, but that is a journey that has to start from the self first. That's a thought for another day, another post!

For now, my experience with JGW has been an interesting journey so far. I will put up the posts of my 7D7G challenge one at a time. Most of the things I'd planned on doing are not what eventually worked out, but at least I made a start so am glad about that.

27th Sept Day 1

My only living grandparent is my paternal grandfather, 94 yrs young, but looks like he is in his 60s-70s. He has been a great contributor and achiever in his career spanning nearly 70 odd yrs in the finance arena. He has headed many top government and private companies and earned fame and glory during his working life. In his personal life, he is always cheerful, a happy go lucky man who enjoys the simple pleasures of life with the same enthusiasm as a little child. He revels in celebrating birthdays of family members, remembers each and every one of them, invites them to his home for a small get together and celebration in a warmhearted manner. He lives alone and is self-sufficient to a great extent, accepting or asking for assistance only occasionally. We are very proud of him and his deeds in life. My favourite memories of the last one year are spending birthdays at his home. He decorates the place up in innovative and beautiful ways and rejoices and celebrates the day joyfully. Its a pleasure to see him handle his life with elan. There is so much to learn from him each time I interact with him.

The apartment complex I live in celebrates Navratri on a grand scale on all 9 days every year. This year marked the 10th anniversary celebrations of the colony's existence and sponsorship was sought from an established and well-known sweets manufacturer and distributor chain of shops. The 1st day of Navratri witnessed an elaborate puja in the traditional manner with many present and it was held on the ground floor of our recreation building. I was keen that my grandfather attend this puja since he would have liked it, but he did not want to come and I was very disappointed. It was unlike him and a week later I met him and expressed my feelings. He immediately agreed to come and I mentioned that many people in the colony have heard of him and would be honored to meet him and that we would be very happy if he came.

So the next day I picked him up and brought him home. He braved his fears of falling and losing balance courageously, brought his walker along, held my hand throughout and even climbed two flights of stairs to the 1st floor to attend a music recital ! I salute his spirit and determination and all the people who met him appreciated and admired his efforts as well. Everything went off well by God's grace, he had a delicious dinner with us thanks to all the prasad and mom's cooking. I dropped him home and he felt happy to have come but was glad to be back in his own home where he felt safe. He had a wonderful time meeting and greeting the various neighbors and friends and chatted with them all happily.

It was wonderful to spend time with my grandfather that evening. I will cherish it as a lovely memory and am glad to have spent my time with someone I greatly admire and respect. It didn't cost me anything to give him the gift of love and time. I thought I was giving him a fun time, but it turns out I received much more in return - the joy of spending time, learning from him, feeling fortunate and grateful to have been born into his family and know him so closely, and cherishing this memory forever.

3 comments:

tgfi said...

Lovely. what an awesome thing to do. and I love this series of joy of giving posts. keep it up! i'll be coming back for more.

your post about grandpa reminded me of this video i saw

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=122772044547

R said...

Super. Awesome. This reminds me of all the evenings I spent with my maternal grandfather. He is by far the only person I miss the most. They have so many stories, so many experiences with such charm and details that every meeting becomes eventful. I am glad you had a good evening and wish for many more for you :-)

Just Jane said...

#TGFI, Thank you and also for sharing the vdo link.

#R, thanks! Hanging out with grandparents is rather cool :) They are fun :)